Monday, February 18, 2013

Finances

So these last couple of Sabbaths my husband and I have been in a Sabbath morning class that has been talking about finances and how to handle it.

Something the book said was "you can not be a committed follower of Jesus Christ and remain irresponsible with your money". Wow that really got to me. Jesus needs us to be responsible with our money. We need to use our money in a way we think HE would use our money. I don't think HE would spend his money on a video game when there is someone out there that needs those 40 bucks more than you.

"No one can serve two masters. Either you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You can not serve both God and money." (Luke 16:13)
 Some may be surprised but the Bible does speak a lot about money, and how God wants us to use it.

"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also" Matthew 6:21

 "God doesn't want your money, but he doesn't want your money to have you." That was interesting. In this society we think only about ourselves and what we can get- what is out there that's new and better than what I have. Now, don't get me wrong, having things are good but there are people out there who buy cars that they can't afford or a house that is way more than their budget and then they have to take out a double mortgage. The sad thing is we get those things because society tells us bigger nicer things are better. But bigger is not always better and more is not always better. I've heard it a million times there are billionaires who have everything and are still not happy. Why? Because material things do not make people happy. A couple years ago I went to Peru to help build a church. I went to a really poor section in Peru where the kids wore the same clothes every single day and they were the happiest people I've ever met. I was so happy there too. They had nothing and they were so happy!

Something that my husband and I have been doing these last couple weeks have been tracking our spending. The first week we found out we spent a lot of money on food. Eating out I think in one week was like $120 just for us two. Think about it. Let's say we do that every week (which we have done) that's almost $500 a month. Now in a year that's like $6,000.  WOW! Now that's just food and we also buy food for home, so we have food at home but we still eat out so that is a lot. That money can go to help some one else out- someone who is less fortunate than us.

We need to set financial goals so we can move forward in life and go where God wants us to go in life.

I think my goal would be to be able to live comfortably and give as much as I can. Giving and helping really makes me happy.

So last thing.. Another thing we've been doing is started to give our tithe (10%) to God which is a hard one sometimes to do cause sometimes it feels like how can I give 10%? I barely have enough for myself or my bills. Well it does feel like that, but I notice that when I do I feel happy and I always end up being able to pay all my bills and get other things I want. God will help you. He doesn't want you to fail. He wants you to go forward. So why, if you're giving back to Him, would he not let you pay your bills?



0 comments:

Post a Comment