Thursday, February 7, 2013

Oh, how time flies!

Today was the last day that I could say I have a one year old! She will be two tomorrow!!



I still remember exactly where I was when I found out I was pregnant. Wow.. It feels like ages ago! I've changed so much these past few years and it's only because I've let my God and Savior take over my life. This is something I don't normally tell people, but I've felt more and more compelled to let others know what I've been through..

I was 19. I was crazy, rebellious, in college- not a care in the world. I had just gotten a boyfriend but didn't think much of our relationship. He was perfect! He loved me, drove far for me, cared about me, went to church with me, had a car, had a respectable job- the whole package. I knew he was in love with me. I could see it in his eyes, but I couldn't bring myself to be crazy about him. (It makes me so sad to write this.) If I knew then what I know now..

Anyway, he wanted to get married. Since I was a crazy, wild teen I said yes. We had only been dating for like 2 months! What was I thinking?! A week later we found out I was pregnant. "Okay. Either way I'm going to be around this man for the rest of my life, might as well make it into a good experience."

So we got married.. Just the two of us with a judge in a courthouse. Two young, clueless people ready to embark on a lifelong journey that never gets easier.

After we got married, we were smart enough to set down some basic ground rules:
1. No going out to clubs or bars
2. No girls night out or guys night out
3. No alcohol in our house
4. No cursing in our house
5. Everyone under our roof WILL go to church every weekend

Looking back.. I was only 19! I know 19 year olds (and even older) that would NEVER agree to these rules. I knew this was an important commitment and I was not going to allow the devil into my relationship that easily! I knew I was doing things that were unpleasing to God, thinking thoughts I shouldn't, planning stuff that would only lead to self-ruin...

So I prayed. (and changed my ways, thoughts, and plans- but that's another story)

Oh, I prayed. I prayed and prayed and prayed. My husband had agreed to the rules but had a hard time with his language and getting up every weekend to go to church. (I wish I could find the drive to pray as much as I did then- now. I'm trying.) Sometimes I'd pray and weep to God. I wanted to have a happy marriage, but things were very difficult at the time. My new husband was unemployed for three months and I was a student at an art school. (Art school drains your pockets.) I was pregnant and extremely hormonal. All I could do was pray. I didn't know anything else. All I knew was that God was powerful, that faith could move mountains, and that nothing was impossible by His side.

And.. It worked!

Within three (very tough) months my husband decided to give his life to Christ and he got baptized. Oh, what a happy day that was for me! I've been in the church ever since I was a young girl, and I'd seen so many people try to bring others into the church without much success. But we were different! I allowed God to do all the work.. All I did was pray- and constantly.

Today, I thank God for allowing me to get pregnant before marriage. You might be saying, "What?!" If I wouldn't've been pregnant, I honestly would not have gotten married. I would've kept going on the path that I was going, and I would've destroyed my life.

God used my husband and my baby to save me from myself.
I can never thank Him enough for what He's done for me, what He keeps doing for me, and what He will do for me in the future!

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. (Jeremiah 29:11)
For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. (1 John 5:4)
For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen. (Romans 11:36) 
If you're going through a hard time, don't try to control the situation. Just have faith that God is taking care of you. He will always be right by your side. He loves you so much! All you have to do is seek Him and believe in Him. Easier said than done. Trust me, I know. Practice makes perfect! Keep praying, keep believing, and He will reward you.





2 comments:

Anonymous

Liz! That is so inspiring! It's so easy to get discouraged and give up, and it was a great encouragement to read how God led you through your discouragement and brought you such joy with it :).

Unknown

Tears are literally running down my face. Such an inspiring story.

Post a Comment