Thursday, January 3, 2013

New year, new me.

Haven't we all said this at least once in our lifetime? And, every time we say it we think we actually mean it, but by the time March comes along, that resolution has been long gone. What happened to that extra weight we wanted to rid ourselves of? What happened to those boxes that needed sorting out? What happened to the clothes we said we'd donate?

I know I've let myself down many times before. Maybe it was because I was trying to do too much at one time. It gets overwhelming trying to change every aspect of your life at one time- especially if you're a working mom and wife. (Oh, please. Don't get me started!) So why is it so difficult to stay focused? I've wondered this many times myself, and I've realized it's not so much about focusing but more about being motivated. I am terrible at motivating myself.

I never realized how bad I am at keeping my own head up until this holiday season. I had two weeks off from work for Christmas and the New Year holiday. I could NOT get myself off that sofa! Pitiful if you ask me. I thought I was going to clean out my closet, cook every day, start my workout regime, take my daughter outside to the snow, etc. Don't get me wrong, I cooked, cleaned, took my daughter places, worked out- once or twice, but it wasn't what I was hoping for.

And that's where our troubles begin. Expectations- of ourselves, our spouse, our family, society, organizations, the government, our finances, etc. It is so hard to live a life where our results never meet our expectations. The sad part is most of us live this life. I know I do. It is extremely frustrating. 

God is the only one who can go above and beyond our expectations, and we must learn to accept that. We've gotten so used to waking up every morning, breathing, and having all our needs met that we forget He's doing this because He loves us. He has NO obligation to do anything for us, but His great love doesn't let Him stay away from blessing us every day of our lives.

Is something bothering you today? Did someone do less than expected? Are people treating you as less than you deserve? Don't forget The One who is always by your side, who loves you unconditionally, and who was willing to give His only son to die- for you.

But you, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness. (Psalm 86:15)

0 comments:

Post a Comment